Record: 28 – 54 (14th in the East)
Season Ended: No Playoffs
Markelle Fultz (PG/SG), Furkan Korkmaz (SG/SF) Stashed last year
Amir Johnson (PF/C) and JJ Redick (SG)
Projected Starters (Last year averages)
PG: Markelle Fultz (Rookie)
SG: J.J. Redick (15 pts, 2 reb, 1 ast)
SF: Ben Simmons (Rookie)
PF: Robert Covington (13 pts, 7 reb, 2 spg)
C: Joel Embiid (20 pts, 8 reb, 2 blk)
Jerryd Bayless (PG), Amir Johnson (PF/C), Dario Saric (PF), Justin Anderson (SG/SF)
Major Story lines
Joel Embiid Extension – Joel Embiid got PAID a few days ago and he’s feeling good. In back to back games he’s screamed about how the opponents can’t guard him and they really can’t. A healthy Embiid is a scary proposition for the league. He shoots 3’s, put’s the ball on the floor, has a post game, blocks shots. He’s basically the perfect Center for today’s league. The 76ers are gambling that they will get a healthy Embiid and did not want to risk him leaving in the offseason. You can’t help but root for the guy.
Fultz and Simmons – Besides hoping for a full season for Embiid the 76ers also have two very exciting rookies who will be getting huge minutes for them. Fultz was the #1 pick in the draft and is an exciting offensive prospect. Simmons is a point forward in the mold of Lebron and I expect he’ll be the main distributor for the team. Both should have good seasons and along with Embiid should make the 76ers fun to watch.
Mike Predictions (39 – 43) (9th in the East)
- 76ers miss the Playoffs – I have the 76ers finishing with the same record as the Knicks but the Knicks winning the tie breaker. Though I do believe the 76ers have more actual talent I think the Knicks experience is what keeps them neck and neck. Another factor here is that key players on this team have very shaky injury histories and I just can’t trust them to not miss significant time.
- 76ers have an All-Star – I want to commit to one, I really do but it really is going to come down to Embiid being healthy in February. If he is, then there’s almost no doubt he’ll be voted in but if he’s not I think that Reddick is voted in as his replacement.
Josh Predictions (43-39) (7th in the East)
- 76ers make the Playoffs – Much of this comes from just how bad I think the Eastern conference is (outside of a few teams). But some of it definitely comes from the incredible talent Philadelphia has. Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz are all 2-way players with talent that can help them compete today. Injuries will be the major concern I think (Philly fans will hold their breath every single time one of their mini-big-3 goes to the ground). But if everyone stays healthy, and Dario Saric has another big year like he did last season, and Simmons and Fultz can share ball handling duties, and JJ Redick continues shooting 43% from deep like he did last season, I the 76ers make an HUGE leap in the standings this year.
- 2 All-Rookie 1st Team Players – Fultz and Simmons are players who traditionally need the ball in their hands to make plays. But I think if they can learn to play off of one another (and Simmons can improve his shot), both of these guys will have big seasons.
- Jahlil Okafor finally gets traded – It’s been rumored for two years now, but I think the time for Jahlil Okafor to be traded finally happens this season. Not sure how many teams want a traditional center like him who can’t defend, but he is a beast down low on offense and is likely coveted by some team somewhere. Hopefully Philly gets a shooter in return to make their offense even more potent.